It is not uncommon today to see many models and celebrities sporting swoon-worthy smiles wherever they go. What many people don’t know is that these stars achieved these smiles with the help of porcelain veneers, which is a cosmetic dentistry treatment that is widely regarded as one of the best ways to transform one’s smile. At Forest Heights Dental, we offer our patients porcelain veneers in SE Calgary so that they too can achieve a “red-carpet-ready” smile!
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are very thin slivers of porcelain that are attached to the front surfaces of your teeth by a dentist to mask minor cosmetic imperfections in your smile. They are custom-made by a dentist near you to blend in with your natural teeth and enhance the appearance of your smile. Porcelain veneers are very natural-looking and durable, making them a popular choice for many.
How To Look After Your Veneers
Porcelain veneers near you are built to look and feel like natural teeth, which means that they also don’t require a lot of extra care. To get the most out of your investment, follow these tips:
- Keep them clean- you must pay as much attention to your veneers as you do to your natural teeth. You should still brush twice a day and floss each evening to maintain optimal oral health. Poor oral hygiene can still lead to gum disease and tooth decay, even with veneers.
- Avoid biting hard objects- many people are guilty of using their teeth as tools to open things such as bottles and packages. If you have veneers, you will need to stop this habit, as hard objects can crack or chip your veneers, leading to the need for replacement.
- Use the correct toothpaste- some toothpaste brands may be too abrasive for your teeth and veneers. When choosing a toothpaste, check for ingredients such as hydrogen peroxide and sodium bicarbonate. Both of these are not ideal for your veneers.
- Avoid alcohol- while the occasional drink is okay, consuming too many alcoholic drinks will soften the cement used to hold your veneers to your teeth. While this doesn’t necessarily mean your veneers will come loose, it will make the bonding material more susceptible to damage and stains.
- Address teeth clenching and grinding- if you habitually clench your teeth, you should speak to your dentist in SE Calgary about getting a night guard. This will keep your teeth apart during the night and ensure that you don’t accidentally damage your veneers due to unconscious clenching and grinding.
- Visit your dentist regularly- you should always visit your dentist at least twice a year, ideally once every six months, for a comprehensive dental checkup and cleaning. Your dentist can also check your veneers during these appointments to ensure that they remain in good condition.
The Bottom Line
Keep in mind that just like everything else, veneers do not last forever. You will have to replace them eventually, but with the right care and attention, you can enjoy your veneers for a decade or longer.
If you would like to learn more about porcelain veneers and if they are right for your smile, please get in touch with our team at Forest Heights Dental. We can’t wait to get you started on your smile transformation journey!